- Mitra offers a pre-school programme following the principles of the Montessori Method which is a scientific and dynamic method of education.
- Observation and the meeting of needs are continual and specific for each child. When physical, mental, social, spiritual, and emotional needs are met children glow with excitement and a drive to play and work with enthusiasm, to learn, and to create. They exhibit a desire to teach, help, and care for others and for their environment.
- Each classroom will have a mixed-age group of 2 1/2-6 year old children. The social grouping encourages and enhances social skills and communication. Older children take the opportunity to interact with the younger children and vice versa thus creating a community environment similar to the adult society.
- Small motor skills are refined as children can freely choose from number of developmentally appropriate activities. Gross motor skills are practiced in our outdoor/indoor play area.
Theme based curriculum
Mitra also offers a theme based curriculum to support the growth and learning process of the child’s physical well being, social and emotional maturity, language skills, an ability to solve problems and think creatively, and general knowledge about the world.
- Every Wednesday will be a ‘SHOW and TELL’ day. On this day the children are allowed to bring any item related to the theme of the week. Every child gets an opportunity to show/talk/present the item he/she has brought before the entire class. This is an excellent opportunity for the child’s enrichment of vocabulary, self expression, communication and interaction. The themes will be posted on the bulletin board on the Monday of every week.
- The understanding behind the inclusion of free play in the program is to further support the growth, creative expression and learning process of the child. Children at play are highly motivated, developing physical, social, emotional and cognitive skills at the same time as they are expressing ideas and creativity and learning concepts.
Key areas covered:
- Exercises of practical life/daily living activities (care of self and care of environment)
- Sensorial activities (learning through all 5 senses)
- Language (spoken language, writing and reading)
- Mathematics ( number concepts)
- Culture(introduction to science and social studies)
Creative Art: (create art and crafts using different media)
Music: (appreciation of different music)
Free play: (Outdoor play, sand and water area, puzzles, indoor games and other constructive toys)
Schedule of the Day/School Hours
- The school operates between 9:00 am and 1:00pm on weekdays.
- A day in Mitra is structured for the Montessori method from 9 am to 12pm followed by a structured programme covering other early childhood learning areas such as free play combined with more art and music activities.
“There is in a child a special kind of sensitivity which leads him to absorb everything about him, and it is this work of observing and absorbing that alone enables him to adapt himself to life.”
– Dr. Maria Montessori, Absorbent Mind